Discovered by Angus McMillan in 1840, Sale grew from humble beginnings to become Gippsland’s first city. The first resident of Sale, then known as Flooding Creek, was Archibald McIntosh. McIntosh set up a forge, store and butcher’s shop, making Flooding Creek a settlement.
Flooding Creek was renamed Sale in 1850 after General Sir Robert Sale, known for his part in the first Afghan war, being killed in battle in 1845. Sale developed further around 1860 when it started to take on a more permanent appearance, benefiting from the Gold Rush around Omeo. Between 1883 and 1890 the Swing Bridge and Sale Canal were built, opening up the town to shipping.
The 1870s saw the introduction of rail to the town providing easy travel between Sale and the State’s Capital, Melbourne. Further major developments in Sale consist of the building of three airfields, including establishment of the RAAF air force base in 1941 and National Safety Council in 1980. 1960 saw ESSO-BHP begin exploration for oil and natural gas in Bass Strait (offshore south of Sale) which proved extremely fruitful.
Much of the information on this History site was gathered from the book
“Sale, Gippsland’s Lucky City” by local historian Peter Synan.
Copies of this excellent book are available at all bookstores in the Sale area.
(The links below contain pages from our old website which we are in the process of converting to the new system)